The Human Resources Department supports the city's strategic goals, and mission, vision and values by offering programs, administering processes, and implementing policies to attract and retain qualified, talented and diverse employees to deliver exceptional services to Irving residents, visitors and businesses. The department consists of a collaborative team of professionals organized as follows:
- Compensation: Working closely with the Budget division, administers compensation and pay plan; conducts job classification reviews, consulting on reclassifications; updates position control and job descriptions; surveys and analyzes market trends; and, researches policies and practices competitiveness.
- Employee Relations: Develops personnel policies that support a work environment to encourage respectful, dynamic, and high-functioning dynamics within teams; assists with the resolution of differences; and advises departments with guidance to maximize synergy, cooperation and trust.
- Talent Services: Supports departments’ recruitment initiatives; assures proper Civil Service testing procedure is followed; coordinates the performance review system; oversees citywide compliance with employment laws; coordinates successful onboarding of new employees; provides informative employee communication and positive recognition to encourage high engagement and reward achievement; offers training and development programs that advance skill acquisition and best practices; and facilitates succession planning to assure uninterrupted service delivery and growth opportunity.
- Workforce Services: Oversees the integration, performance, and maintenance of Benefits and Wellness programs, Payroll Administration, and Risk Management.
- Benefits and Wellness: Develops group benefit plans and wellness programs; coordinates annual open enrollment period and processes mid-year plan changes; reviews and develops funding strategies for various benefit packages; and administers retirement plans.
- Payroll: Administers payroll systems, leave time, deductions and employee self-service tools; assists with audits; and ensures that pay systems and leave balances comply with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and other applicable wage laws.
- Risk Management: Coordinates Workers’ Compensation program and safety training; handles claims and lawsuits; coordinates the provision of insurance coverage, regulatory compliance and reporting requirements; and advises on appropriate funding levels to mitigate various risks associated with providing municipal services, consulting city departments on business insurance needs and the development of tailored safety practices.